The list of forbidden foods for psoriasis includes table salt. Its use is limited, as it not only disrupts the digestive tract, but also "pulls" water, contributes to the appearance of latent edema, weight gain and increased pathological processes in metabolism.
Spices and spicy dishes are not included, which in addition to negatively affect the gastrointestinal tract and nervous system, adversely affect the skin (aromatic substances and essential oils), provoke itchy and inflammatory reactions on the skin.
Digestible carbohydrates (sugar, honey, candy, etc. ) also cause inflammation, and also contribute to weight gain. Need to exclude products that contain preservatives, dyes, stabilizers and flavor enhancers: they cause allergic and inflammatory reactions.
You should refrain from eating fatty foods, which exacerbate disorders of lipid metabolism, "add" extra pounds, "inhibit" the work of the digestive tract.
List of prohibited products:
- pastries, especially fresh ones, white bread, butter biscuits;
- rich meat soup;
- fatty meats (especially pork), lard, sausages;
- smoked fish, meat, canned food;
- seasonings (garlic, carrots, vinegar, pepper, cloves, nutmeg);
- fatty dairy products;
- citrus fruits (a controversial issue, some nutritionists welcome it, others ban it);
- seafood (lobster, crab, shrimp, clams, oysters);
- highly allergenic fruits and berries (strawberries, pineapples, melons, strawberries, blueberries, mangoes, cranberries);
- vegetables (potatoes, tomatoes, pumpkin, beans, eggplant, peppers);
- coffee, cocoa, chocolate;
- protein cream and butter, jam, honey, candy;
- nuts, especially roasted and salted;
- easily digestible grains (semolina, barley);
The need to follow a diet
A patient on a psoriasis diet will immediately notice a significant improvement in skin condition, a decrease in recurrence frequency and a disappearance of itching and discomfort. In addition, nutritional therapy helps normalize weight and digestive tract function, improves the appearance of hair and nails, and stimulates the immune system.
Why you need a diet for psoriasis
After eating food, complex biochemical processes are triggered to break down and assimilate it. The pH in the body depends on the composition of the food. When protein is metabolized in tomatoes, eggplant, meat and fish, the environment becomes acidic. This is what is often predicted for the next relapse of psoriasis. Therefore, the removal of such products will help prevent the appearance on the skin of pink plaques covered with silvery scales. Adhering to the diet for a long time brings a significant improvement in the body. How this happens:
- normalized metabolism;
- the body's immunity to the effects of external and internal negative factors increases;
- sleep quality improves, vitality increases, apathy and fatigue disappear.
There are certain allergic components in the pathogenesis (mechanism) of psoriasis development. Even the symptoms are similar to the typical signs of sensitivity - the skin becomes inflamed, irritated, and rash. Therefore, it is recommended to exclude foods that cause allergies from the diet. For example, chocolate, strawberries, citrus fruits.
For psoriasis, fermented milk products are useful, but only low in fat. Nutritionists recommend that patients more often use soft cheese without spices, varenet, baked milk, yogurt, kefir. Children’s diet necessarily includes cottage cheese and drinking yogurt without coloring and flavoring. Also, the following products must be on the weekly menu:
- boiled eggs or omelets;
- lean meats - turkey, rabbit, chicken breast, lamb;
- fatty fish - salmon, Norwegian herring, sardines;
- dry wheat bread;
- cereal porridge - buckwheat, millet, wheat, corn;
- white cabbage salad, parsley beets, seasoned with vegetable oil;
- zucchini, greens and celery root, carrots.
Food should not be fried or broiled. They should be boiled in a little water or burned. Steamed vegetables, meat or fish retain maximum amounts of nutrients, macro and micro elements, fat -soluble vitamins and water.
Nutritionists advise to eat fruits and dried fruits as desserts. Very useful is the use of figs, dried apricots, pineapples, grapes, cherries, peaches, dates. Of the citrus fruits, only grapefruit is allowed. The thick skin of the fruit must be cut. Don’t forget about nuts (walnuts, cashews, pistachios, hazelnuts), pumpkin and sunflower seeds. They alkalize the body perfectly, minimizing the risk of recurrence of psoriasis.
Basic nutritional guidelines
The goals of following a diet for psoriasis are:
- reduce the number of disease exacerbations;
- reduction in the frequency and intensity of skin rashes;
- normalization of metabolism;
- stimulation of the body's defenses;
- improve the work of the digestive tract.
According to the classification, the diet for psoriasis does not have its own "schedule", which means that one should adhere to the general diet or treatment schedule number 15.
In case of progression of the disease for several days, hypocaloric diet with purified foods. Its daily energy value is 1800 kilocalories, protein content-50-70 grams, fat-no more than 40-60 grams, carbohydrates-about 250-300 grams. Exclusion of allergenic foods is also indicated.
Everyone’s body is individual, and therefore there is no clear prohibition on the consumption of certain foods. There are many dietary methods developed for psoriasis, the most famous being the Pegano diet and the Fire diet. They are similar in that they seek to regulate the acid-base balance in the body to stabilize disease. That is, it is recommended to consume up to 70% of the daily diet of alkaline -forming products and about 30% of acid -forming products.
General principles of the diet for psoriasis:
- drinking fluids; Free fluid intake should not be less than 2-2. 5 liters a day. Drinking plenty of fluids removes toxins from the body, normalizes kidney function, prevents the development of constipation and improves skin turgor.
- body weight; Being overweight indicates profound metabolic disorders, particularly lipids and carbohydrates. It is important to normalize weight, do not overeat and exercise, because obesity disrupts the digestive tract and cardiovascular system. Weight normalization improves the condition of the skin, as the content of C-reactive protein in the blood decreases, which increases with obesity.